Home > Storage Resources > Hand Tool Storage & Power Tool Storage Tips from the Experts
Hand Tool Storage & Power Tool Storage Tips from the Experts
Power tools and hand tools can be very expensive. Although you may not use your cordless power tools too often, it is still important to store them properly so they’re ready for the next time you need them. Try out these hand and power tool storage tips!
The Top 6 Hand and Cordless Power Tool Storage Tips
- Give the Tool a Thorough Cleaning: Like many other items in your home, storing your hand and cordless dirty can result in serious damage. Use a cloth to wipe off any dirt or mud that may be caked on the tool. While you are cleaning the tools, check them for signs of damage. If you notice rust or corrosion on your tools, take care of it before storage. Any tools that are damaged or rusty should be fixed or disposed.
- Allow Your Tools Time to Dry: This tip is only important if you used any water, soap or other liquids to clean your tools. Allow your tools ample time to dry before putting them into storage. Tool boxes are dark, making them a perfect breeding ground for rust, mold and mildew.
- Apply a Lubricant to Hand and Power Tools: Protect your metal hand and cordless power tools from moisture by applying a thick layer of lubricant before storage. This will be the best defense against rust while your tools are in storage.
- Keep Your Tools Organized: A disorganized tool set up will not only make it more difficult to find the right tool, it can also result in your tools becoming damaged. Use a pegboard to store hand tools and light power tools. Store any large power tools in a tool box or cabinet.
- Keep Your Tool Storage Solution Elevated: The ground tends to be more prone to fluctuations in temperature. When choosing a place to store your tool box or tools, choose a location that is higher off the floor.
- Consider a Temperature Controlled Storage Unit: Some items need a little extra care during storage. If you’re worried that your garage or tool shed may not be ideal for the long-term storage of tools, consider a temperature controlled storage unit. A temperature controlled storage unit will maintain a steady temperature perfect for storing tools.
Store Here Has Tool Storage Solutions
Are you interested in renting a self storage unit with Store Here? We have storage facilities in Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin and more states across the continental US with temperature controlled storage options. Our 5×5 storage unit is perfect for storing tools. We also offer 5×10 and 10×10 storage units, which are great options for storing tools, rakes, shovels and other regular garage items. Our storage facilities also have storage unit specials, making renting a storage unit for tool storage very affordable. Contact us to rent a storage unit today!