Home > Storage Resources > Eliminate Clutter from Your Home with These Tips
Eliminate Clutter from Your Home with These Tips
No matter how many times you clean your home, it always seems like clutter creeps back in eventually. Then you clean again, and the cycle starts over. But you don’t have to keep reliving this vicious cycle. The key is to prevent the clutter from accumulating. That may sound easier said than done, but our simple tips below will help you eliminate clutter for good.
6 Ways to Prevent Clutter from Accumulating
- Purge Frequently: Even when you live a life of simplicity, clutter tends to find its way into your home. Schedule a handful of days every year to sort through all of your possessions and eliminate items you no longer need.
- Use a List when Shopping: Just about every store is stocked with “impulse buys” near the register — little things that you feel compelled to purchase because they’re so inexpensive. Of course, those aren’t the only things you may feel the urge to put into your shopping basket. But when you shop with a list, it’s easier to focus on only the items you need. Spot something you really like? Think about it for a day or two. If you still want it afterwards and there’s a place in your home for it, go back for it.
- Make a Budget and Stick to It: When you live below your means, you help prevent yourself from stock piling items you don’t need or won’t use. Rather than trying to create new places for your miscellaneous items, clear out the items that don’t have a purpose. Then when everything feels sorted, create a family budget — and don’t designate too much income to the miscellaneous spending category. Instead, put leftover income into savings or use it for experiences rather than tangible things.
- Make Sure Every Item has a Place: When you can create a designated spot for everything — from your favorite shirt to the cute knick-knack you picked up at a garage sale — you can quickly see what doesn’t fit. It’s also easier to put things back where they belong when they have somewhere to belong. And should you run out of places to put things, it’s time to start purging.
- Make a Habit Out of Putting Things Away: One of the most important steps you can take in avoiding clutter is putting items away as soon as you’re done using them. But if you’re not in the habit of doing that, it can be a difficult task to remember at first. Keep reminding yourself to do it for a while, and it will eventually become second nature.
- Don’t Feel Badly if Clutter Reaccumulates: There will be times when you have an “off day” (or week or month) and don’t feel like organizing — it happens to all of us. It’s important to give yourself a break when that happens, but don’t let it become the norm. When you’re feeling like yourself again, just remember to get back to business.
Live Clutter Free the Store Here Way!
As you sort through your possessions and find things that no longer belong in your home, but you still want to hang onto, a storage unit with Store Here could be the ideal solution. Our years of experience mean you receive the best service and storage solutions, from temperature controlled units to vehicle storage. We even make taking care of monotonous tasks simple by offering online bill pay.
See how easy self storage can be. Find a Store Here storage facility near you now!