Free Moving Truck: Looking to expedite the moving and storing processes? Store Here will pay for your truck rental. *See manager for details.
You have gone your entire life living in a busy household. Your children had active social lives when they were young, constantly wanting to have their friends over. Kids were running everywhere, cluttering the house with debris from birthday presents, parties and materials from school. Now your kids have moved out, off doing adventures of their own, and you are looking to downsize. Whether you’re moving down south to your dream location, or just a few cities over to be closer to family or friends, these tips to downsizing your home for retirement will help make the process easier.
1. Pack Wisely: Pack intuitively. If you are moving to a warmer climate, do not feel the need to pack all of your winter clothes. Pick out a few essential items and get rid of the rest. Minimizing the number of items you pack is a smart way to mitigate the cost of moving, as well as optimize space in your new home.
2. Start Early: As soon as the choice is made to downsize your home, start sorting through your items to determine which items must be packed, and which items are no longer needed.
3. Choose a Representative: If you have a collection of sentimental items, choose one item to represent the collection. While it may be painful to part with items you have collected throughout the years, bringing your favorite item from the collection will still make your new home feel like a home, while minimizing the number of items you need to transport.
4. Donate: Any items you no longer use can be donated to friends, family or a donation center near you. This is a good way to get items out of your home, with the satisfaction of knowing they are going to help someone else.
5. Start a ‘first day’ box: As your moving day gets closer, start a box of any items you will need during your first few days in your home. This box should contain items like daily medicine, clothes, utensils and any needed chargers. Keep this box with you during the move. Things happen, starting a first day box will give you the peace of mind knowing your prescriptions won’t get lost in the sea of boxes.
6. Utilize a Storage Unit: If you need some extra storage help, consider using a storage unit. If you are relocating somewhere for the location, a storage unit may be your best option to keep items close to you without cluttering your home.
For more tips on renting a storage unit for your downsized home, contact a Store Here self storage location nearby. With several self storage facilities throughout the United States, our team is standing by to help with all your storage needs. Call or visit one of our storage locations today to see how we can help you with all of your storage needs.